Do you know when to pick up a squarebill crankbait? Kevin Short says there aren’t too many wrong times to fish this popular bait. While they come in different shapes, sizes, and materials, the squarebill crankbait effectively targets shallow-water bass – especially around brush.
In this seminar, Short breaks down how to fish squarebill crankbaits, and dives into the specifics to help you catch more fish next time you’re on the water. When it comes to crankbaits, options are truly unlimited. For squarebill crankbaits, one of the more important components is the material the bait is made from. While most crankbaits are molded with a plastic body, many effective squarebills are carved from balsa wood. Wooden crankbaits, while often don’t include rattles, are especially effective around brush, says Short. Meanwhile, Short prefers to throw plastic body crankbaits around rock due to their increased durability.
Short also dives into how to pick the best gear for crankbait fishing. This includes rods, reels, line, and even which hooks to use in certain situations. Short takes you on the water with him to show how to properly fish squarebill crankbaits through heavy brush to avoid getting your bait hung up, but he also shows ways you can safely retrieve your lure if you do get stuck. Short also explains how to more accurately cast to your target, how to position the boat, and how to increase your hookup and landing ratio with crankbaits.
How to Fish Squarebill Crankbaits for Bass Chapters
- 1:40 When To Throw Different Types Of Squarebill Crankbaits
- 4:35 How Squarebill Crankbaits Fish Around Heavy Cover
- 6:55 How To Pick The Right Squarebill Color
- 11:15 How To Pick The Best Crankbait Hookups
- 14:40 How To Change A Treble Hook
- 17:30 Why You Should Tie A Uni Knot
- 19:00 Understanding Different Types Of Lines For Cranking
- 25:00 Best Gear Setup For Squarebill Crankbait Fishing
- 28:55 Best Time To Throw A Squarebill Crankbait
- 35:00 On The Water Cranking With Kevin Short
- 35:45 What Makes A Good Laydown Tree?
- 45:30 Keys To Boat Positioning
- 56:50 How To Get Your Squarebill Crankbait Unhung
- 1:01:00 How To Cast A Squarebill Crankbait
- 1:11:55 Tips For Cranking Around Rocks