Professional angler Paul Mueller, who is a Bassmaster Elite Series Pro and Champion, teamed up with Bass University to share his expertise on fishing in a natural, clear water lake. The current water temperature is 48 degrees, but Paul doesn't believe that's too cold for good largemouth bass fishing. Paul has three baits that he relies on heavily in cold clear water. A lot of anglers already know about jerkbaits like the Deps Balisong Long Bill Minnow Jerkbait in the late fall, winter and early spring, but Paul has 2 other baits that he feels are great for catching largemouth in frigid water temperatures, including one that he feels is stronger the colder the water gets.
Paul is also on a natural lake that has some healthy deep grass. Learn how Paul approaches these conditions. What are you looking for on your graph that will hold the fish? What are the characteristics of the grass that will hold fish better? Power fishing or finesse fishing? Big baits or small baits? How does grass depth/height determine what lure to use for catching largemouth bass? How important is color selection in clear water?
Paul focuses on the challenge of dropping water temperatures and explains the key lures he uses in this situation. He discusses the specific rods, reels, and lines he recommends for these techniques and shares some clever tips about using a jig. When faced with fishing in a lake with dense grass, Paul relies heavily on using a Jig to achieve success on the water.
He emphasizes the importance of adapting your fishing approach based on the current conditions. Paul also highlights how the speed at which a bait sinks (rate of fall) in cold water is crucial and demonstrates how using a heavy jig can provoke a quick reaction from fish in grassy areas.
Paul talks about the challenges of fishing different baits, like jerkbaits, spinnerbaits and jigs in cold water, cloudy, windy, post-frontal conditions. Learn some pro tips for fishing grass lines and reading inside and outside grass lines. Learn what factors determine a jigs fall rate and what changes you can make to adjust the fall rate correctly and maintain the right action and profile.
This bass fishing instructional class is full of information on how to catch largemouth bass in cold and clear water. It will also help you become proficient and fishing shallow water grass in natural lakes. Learn the best lures and tackle for fishing these conditions and how to fish those lures to catch more and bigger largemouth bass. You can observe and learn directly from Paul Mueller, an accomplished Elite Series Pro, as he demonstrates catching northern largemouth using a jig in cold water. He provides insights into the strategies needed for fishing in challenging cold weather conditions.
Northern Largemouth Bass Fishing in Grass Chapters
- 0:08: Natural Clear Water Lakes
- 1:35: Key Baits and Areas Breakdown
- 23:50: Fishing the Conditions
- 33:05: Fishing a Jig in Cold Water
- 44:00: Key Grass Areas
- 47:05: Fall Rate and Boat Positioning
- 54:50: Jig Trailer Selection
- 56:50: Fish Catch Outro
What Clear, Cold Water Grass Fishing Questions Are Answered?
- What's Paul Mueller's take on fishing in natural, clear water lakes?
- How does Paul approach fishing in cold water?
- What are the three baits that Paul heavily relies on for Northern largemouth bass in cold, clear water?
- What's Paul's strategy for fishing in a natural lake with healthy deep grass?
- What characteristics of grass does Paul look for on his graph to find fish?
- In terms of grass depth/height, how does Paul choose between power fishing vs finesse fishing and big baits vs small baits?
- Why does Paul emphasize adapting your fishing approach based on current conditions?
- What specific rods, reels, and lines does Mueller recommend for fishing in cold water?
- How does Paul Mueller use a jig effectively in a lake with dense grass?
- What challenges does he discuss when fishing different baits in cold water, cloudy, windy, post-frontal conditions?
- What are some pro tips for fishing grass lines and reading inside and outside grass lines?
- How does the rate of fall of a bait play a crucial role in cold water, and what changes can be made to adjust it correctly?
- Why does Mueller consider color selection important in clear water?
- What insights does Paul provide into strategies needed for fishing in challenging cold weather conditions?
Related Bass Fishing Topicsclear water cold water colors finesse grass jerkbaits jigs largemouth on the water paul mueller power fishing sonar water temperature wind winter
Buy Bass Fishing Class Tackle
Disclaimer: When you purchase products from TackleDirect using tackle links on this site, we may receive commission.