top 5 techniques

Thad - sophomore

If you had to choose, what would be your top 5 techniques to fish any lake any time of year?

October 20, 2021 03:53:22 PM
Jason Admin - admin

I'll assume you care primarily about #s of fish. Obviously, it would help to know if the lake is muddy/clear, deep/shallow, grass, no grass, etc. but, if I was going somewhere and didn't know anything about the lake/river, here's my list.
1. drop shot - it just catches fish anywhere any time of year
2. jig - super versatile: pitch it, flip it, swim it, etc.
3. chatterbait - I like the chatterbait better than a lipless crankbait or a spinnerbait, but these 3 are close to a tie for a reaction bait
4. fluke / floating worm - I like something natural or obnoxiously bright up in the water column that also comes through cover well
5. swimbait - When the above fail, I just throw a swimbait around anything that looks like bait on the electronics until it's time to go home

November 15, 2021 01:42:33 PM

Does the color shirt a fisherman wears have any impact on shallow water fishing

November 29, 2022 09:53:48 AM
Jason Admin - admin

Profession Fishhead Justin Kimmel would probably say that anything other than Clemson orange and Roll Tide red should be ok, but Georgia Bulldog red is the least likely to scare them. Seriously, though, I don't know the answer, but most of my SPF sunshirts are light blue. I figure, it can't hurt to have sky color, and it doesn't absorb heat on hot days like dark colors do. I've been out on a 100 degree day in black and I thought it was going to melt to my skin. Gillz makes good shirts, I have never worm Huk or Aftco, but I hear good things. I always wear long sleeves because these SPF shirts are light and breathable so they are comfortable and convenient (because I hate remembering to put on sunscreen, and having it on my hands).

November 29, 2022 10:03:47 AM
The Dean - professor

I have heard of guys selecting shirts that camouflage with the sky to aid in stealth. I haven't paid much attention to that, but I think there is merit here. When I fish from the bank, I often hide behind a bush or tree to get close to fish in shallow water.

December 7, 2022 08:51:18 AM
The Dean - professor

My top five techniques that are always on the ready are;
1-Jig - I use a Keitech 1/2 ounce most of the time. A moderately sized jig that is extremely versatile.
2-5" tail-weighted Senko
3-Wiggle Wart crankbait. So versatile in depths up to 8'
4-3/8 ounce Terminator spinnerbait, white with silver blades
5-Chatterbait 1/2ounce black with black blade.
These are my top five.

December 7, 2022 08:56:23 AM

Bass University Annual Membership Sale