Right or Left handed baitcaster

emix - doctor

Hello, I just wanted to ask which one do you think is the best choice between left and right handed baitcaster when we have to fish for crank or spinnerbait etc.? thanks

November 10, 2019 02:04:42 PM
Jason Admin - admin

Lots of anglers who are serious about efficiency say you will get more casts in and if you don't have to change hands. JT Kenney makes the point to let your "dumb hand" handle the reel, which is just turning the handle, and let the "smart hand" play the fish with the rod. I hope this helps.

November 11, 2019 10:33:58 AM
mattfish11 - graduate

Definitely go with what you are comfortable with. If you are more comfortable, you'll fish better!

December 28, 2019 11:54:13 PM
PatinParkton - graduate

I am right handed and want my strongest arm on the rod. That's my right. Also don't want to switch casting arms on routine casts. All my reels (baitcasters and spinners) are left handed. Most reel manufacturers provide a decent selection of gear ratios in left handed reels, so that is no longer an issue.

January 29, 2020 07:19:46 AM
Adam Brister - graduate

The guys above made some great points regarding switching hands and keeping your strong arm on the rod. I grew up fishing with right hand reels before lefties became popular, and when I tried to switch I never could get comfortable. But I use a left-handed spinning reel so maybe there's a short circuit in my brain. ???? Bottom line is, try both if you can and go with what feels right.

February 29, 2020 10:59:37 PM

Bass University Membership Sale