Skipping

Buddy - doctor

I’m trying to learn to skip baits and having a terrible time. Could you give me pointers and tips on how to set up your reel to accomplish this?

November 21, 2018 05:09:56 PM
Jason Admin - admin

Zona discusses this topic in his "Fishing Docks Differently" seminar. Jump ahead to about 15:38. https://bassu.tv/bass-fishing-video/fishing-docks-differently-mark-zona
I hope this helps.

November 21, 2018 05:23:52 PM
The Dean - professor

Zona's video is great! I assume we are talking about baitcasting reels. My goal with baitcasting gear is to lower the spool control and magnets to the minimum. This might sound scary and maybe it is. In order to skip a bait you need to get that bait moving at a high speed. In order to get the bait moving at a high speed, you need to get the brakes off. This takes a bit of practice and that needs to be done in the garage or in the swimming pool. I think the most important thing when it comes to skipping is to get the line off the water during the cast. I do this by raising the rod tip once the lure has started to skip. If the line lays on the water, this will cause a ton of drag and stop the skipping effect. By raising the rod tip, the line will be lifted off the water and allow the bait to skip much further. Practice, practice, practice. Good luck Buddy.

November 21, 2018 10:42:12 PM
Buddy - doctor

Thanks, I’ll give this a try!!

November 22, 2018 10:38:05 AM

Great advice

November 22, 2018 03:47:47 PM

Ya know I find of course it is easier to skip with a spinning reel I am sure you know this but I tell ya I have had trouble doing it I think it takes a lot of practice to do it like the pros . It so cool to watch them do it so well practice pratice . Let’s ask the pros how long it took them to really get good at skipping .

November 24, 2018 01:49:03 PM
The Dean - professor

Spinnning gear is definately easier to skip with Douglass. A weightless 5" senko is the probably the easiest bait to learn to skip with. The bait us use is as important as anything. Some baits (any texas rig) are very difficult to skip with. Find a bait that is easy to skip and start there.

Here is a number for you. It takes 5000 repetitions to become proficient at any cast. This number comes from working with students at the Bass U, On-Water Training. Some casts are easier to master, but skipping is the most challenging. I also recommend an angler learns to skip both forehand and backhand. In addition, the pitch skip cast is very important to learn. Get your repetitions in your back yard, garage or swimming pool. Don't wait until you get on the water to start practice. That,s the easiest way to get frustrated. Good luck.

November 26, 2018 08:46:39 AM
Buddy - doctor

Is there a rod or action that is better for skipping? Also, how about the reel? Is there one that seems to be better or worse? How about line, mono, flouro or braid?

November 30, 2018 10:41:02 AM
Jason Admin - admin

I believe Zona mentions in his seminar on dock fishing (https://bassu.tv/bass-fishing-video/fishing-docks-differently-mark-zona ) that a softer rod tip is good. He also states not to rare back and throw it, but a gentle skip motion, like skipping a stone. Obviously the smoother the line comes off the reel, the better. I believe most techniques that are fished when skipping are best done with higher gear ratio, so you may want to keep that in mind. From our video library, I would say the line choice will be fluoro or braid.

November 30, 2018 11:07:30 AM
Doug Andrews - graduate

To prevent catastrophic backlashes, use painters tape on your spool. Cast out normally about how far you want to practice and pull out an extra 10 foot or so, wrap an inch or 2 strip of painters tape over your line on the spool. Your backlashes will only go this deep now. The painters tape leaves no residue on your line and can be removed or adjusted at any time.

December 5, 2018 08:21:54 AM
The Dean - professor

Good tip Doug!!

December 6, 2018 11:20:01 AM
Buddy - doctor

Thanks for the information!!

December 6, 2018 06:55:17 PM

Bass University Annual Membership Sale