Spinning reels

Ron - graduate

Has anyone experienced their spinning reels feeling like egg beaters after fishing for long periods ? Gets so bad I have to quit using them. Get home to check them out and they are smooth as glass. One buddy insists its all in my head.

May 27, 2019 03:14:14 PM
Jason Admin - admin

Be sure to flip the bail back by hand after casting, don't start reeling to click it over. The egg beater effect (if I understand what you're describing) comes from the bail being out of balance, which is usually because the bail didn't flip all the way back over. You can start by cleaning and lubing the part of the bail that flips over. Unfortunately, after a while, things wear out. I have a Daiwa Laguna (which I love) from the early 2000's and I have to mindfully flip the bail all the way over and ensure it's all the way down, or it wobbles terribly.

May 28, 2019 10:50:19 AM
The Dean - professor

Jason has a good suggestion here. The must me something out of balance on your real. The bail is a good place to start looking. Lures that have a lot of resistance in the water can also create the effect of being out of balance on spinning gear. Deep diving crankbaits are an example. I always drop of a my reals that are acting funny to a professional reel repair shop to have then cleaned and lubed. They can often find things that need to be repaired.

June 6, 2019 02:23:01 PM

Bass University Annual Membership Sale